Sunday 12 February 2017

The Belstow Weekly "Do It" Supplement!




For about 4 years, from 1984 to 1988, there was a show that came on Children's ITV called Do It, which was based around the idea of a filing clerk at fictional newspaper The Belstow Weekly trying to come up with ideas for a special supplement to be given away with the paper to increase circulation...




Sheelagh Gilbey came up with the idea for the show, and presented it for most of the run, often helped by the ever arty Neil Buchanan who would go on to other shows like No.73 and his own Art Attack....

The show itself was never a favourite of mine, as even as a seven year old I found it quite annoying and stupid! However, at the end of the episodes, they always mentioned you could get your hands on a copy of the supplement itself....and being a collector of all things comic-like, I always wanted one of these supplements!



Luckily my friend Graeme always seemed to get such things, and after I told him about my interest in the mag, he sent off for one for me! It arrived filled with pages of how to make and do all the stuff on the show, without all the stupid dancing and singing and annoyance! It was great!




And that brings us to now, where whilst looking through the ever fruitful flat boxes, I discovered a rather tatty, but still quite readable supplement, which I'm now sticking on here for you lot to enjoy! It's missing a few pages at the front and back, but at least most of it is here!  

As always, click the pics to go big! :) 






















I'll be back later in the week with some more finds from the flat! I'm planning on moving soon, so there's going to be lots of finds whilst I sift through what stuff to keep and what to throw out! 




2 comments:

  1. It's a shame that kids these days (I sound a LOT older than I am using that phrase!) aren't interested in this sort of thing i.e. crafts and making stuff. I'm slightly too young to have watched this programme but I always used to tune in to Art Attack as a kid and do my best to make stuff out of old shoe boxes and bog rolls afterwards. My versions were never as good but simply being inspired to make stuff was great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I've got nieces and nephews that still like making stuff from bog rolls and sticky-back-plastic, but there does seem to be less stuff promoting such ideas! Maybe we're just not noticing it as much 'coz it's hidden away on kid's telly channels! they never show kids TV on BBc1 or ITV these days except for first thing in the morning.

      Either that or kids these days are just using Minecraft to make awesome things! :)

      Delete