Tuesday 10 October 2017

Halloween School Book Club - (Pt.1) Disguises & Make-up



My Primary School was pretty good at making sure we read a lot as kids, and we were encouraged to sign up to the School Book Club, where we'd be handed a catalogue to take home, pick a couple of books, persuade our parents to pay for them at a reduced rate and then take the completed form back in and wait for the books to arrive a few weeks later!

Being obsessed with all things horror-related even then, I'd always try to find the creepy, spooky stuff to buy..or things that would allow me to create freaky things like the book I'm going to share parts of with you today....



Disguises & Make-up is a great little book filled with lots of tips on how to successfully disguise yourself or create realistic looking monsters for Halloween costumes! Below is a selection of the best pages, but I really do suggest you track this one down if you like the look of it as every page is awesome!

The page below talks about choosing your wardrobe....


Next is how to make a wig.....


Extra padding (something I don't need these days....)


It even includes tips on acting the part....


This is one of the creepiest looking kids I've ever seen....


How to be a vampire without being the seventh son of a seventh son, or walking over graves at the wrong time of year or being bitten or anything.....


Lighting and wrinkles...


How to be a Karloff clone....


Give yourself some freaky feet...


How to be a witch without having a mole in the wrong place, being a misjudged crazy cat-lady or being called Agnes.....


And here's a section about covering your mug with a mask...


How to be a politically incorrect racist....


Clearly they had big ideas about how far you were going to take this knowledge and included sections about the correct make-up to use (including listing all the tone-colours and make numbers) and this section below telling you about books for further study and addresses of theatre groups and film companies!


Hope you enjoyed this and maybe find it useful for creating new costumes for this year! I'll do another post with another book I picked up from the book club a bit later in the month! 





2 comments:

  1. Looks like a great book! I remember something sort of similar when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I used to love these type of books! There must still be similar things being released today, surely? Maybe I should check the shops next time I'm in town.. :-)

      Delete